From the past to the present, the Thai life has been changed with time. The only thing which remains unchanged is its uniqueness and the local intelligence which
each community has preserved.
The community products have been created a long time ago from the knowledge and intelligence as well as the experience of one generation handed down to the
next generation until today. The products have become a local heritage unique for each community which are hard to reproduce or copy . These community products,
being the pride of the Thai people, represent the Thai life. They are an essential part of the living of the people in each community.
In recognizing the important role of the community as a mechanism in strengthening the grassroots economy with sustainable development, the “One Tambon One
Product (OTOP) Project” has been established by the government. The objectives of the project are to generate more work and income to the community and to promote
the use of the products of local intelligence. The project aims to increase production and sale of the community products. At present, the project has become larger and
covers a lot of products. For some products, it is necessary to be upgraded as well as to maintain the Thai uniqueness so as to preserve the local intelligence amidst the
age of changes.
The government has been supportive of the development of quality of the community products. The “Standards for Community Products Project” has been established
by the Ministry of Industry. The Thai Industrial Standards Institute (TISI), the national standards body of Thailand, has been assigned by the Ministry of Industry to develop standards and certify the community products according to the standards. The objective of this activity is to upgrade the quality of the community products as well as to widen the market for such products, both locally and abroad.
At present, the Thai industry exists in large, medium and small scale. While some industry can produce for export, certain producers are small-scale or community producers which are not sufficiently developed. It is, therefore, necessary to develop the local community producers to strengthen their capability in production in order to generate work and income in all communities in the country. The development of standards for community products is the development of products of local intelligence to the international level while maintaining their uniqueness and value.The role of TISI
TISI has been assigned by the Ministry of Industry to develop standards for community products with the approval of the Subcommittee on Quality and Technology Research and Development under the Committee on “One Tambon One Product Project”. The Subcommittee has approved the Standards for Community Product Project
of TISI. The Community Product Standards Community has, therefore, been established with the TISI Secretary General as chairman to be responsible for the standards development and the certification of community products.
The standard for community product contains a specification which is suitable for the community product and which is agreed by all parties concerned. The standard
is easy to use and corresponds with the production in the community.
The concept of the Standards for Community Product Project
1. To support the producers in terms of quality of the product and marketing by means of granting a certification mark. The project will bring about sustainable development and enhance production capability.
2. To respond to the urgent policy of the government in connection with the “One Tambon One Product Project”
3. To promote and upgrade the quality of the product.
4. To increase the competitiveness of the local community in connection with the “One Tambon One Product Project”.
5. To promote the acceptance and reliability of the community products.
1. To promote and develop the quality of the community products to meet the standards
2. To promote the sale of community products and to assure the producers of the quality criteria and production as well as to assure the local and overseas consumers in the quality of the products
3. To enhance sustainable development by upgrading the quality of community products to comply with standards in accordance with the government policy regarding the “One Tambon One Product Project”
1. Development of standards for community products.Presently,1483 standards have been developed.
2. Product certification : exceeding 70,000 producers have been certified.
3. Development of producers Assistance has been provided to develop the products to meet the standards. Advice has been given in packaging, food hygiene, etc
4. Public relations Information through mass media and exhibition to promote the good image and acceptance of the community products
Prior to the development of the community standards, the workshops consisting of the 3 parties (the producers, consumers and technical experts) will be
organized by TISI to gather information and comments on each product for which standards will be developed. The result of the workshop will be used as
a guideline in the development of the standard which is suitable for the each product, acceptable to all parties and easy to use.
The applicants must have the following qualifications:
1. Having been selected by the Committee on “One Tambon One Product Project” as a producer in the community, or
2. Being a group or member of an agriculturist group, co-operative group or any other groups as specified in the Community Enterprise Law.
The applicant can submit the application form to TISI or to the provincial industry office throughout the country. The certification issued by TISI will be valid for three years. The surveillance will be regularly done at least once a year.The benefits of the standards for community products to the Thai economy and society
1. The community product standards will enhance the development of quality of the community products.
2. The community product standards will promote the sale of the products by means of the certification mark.
3. The quality of products will be developed consistently.
4. The competitiveness of the grassroots economy will be improved.
5. The community product standards will be a guarantee of quality and will increase confidence of the local and overseas consumers in the products.
6. The development of the community product standards is responsive to the government policy on “One Tambon One Product Project.”